VITMEE Syllabus for Physics (PH)
Vellore Institute of Technology Master’s entrance examination (VITMEE) For M.Tech and MCA Admission 2012 VITMEE Syllabus for Physics (PH)
PH – PHYSICS
Fourier series – Fourier transform – properties – convolution theorem – Application to solve differential equations -Laplace’s transform – properties – application to ordinary and partial differential equations-CayleyHamiltonTheorem – Eigen value problems
Orthogonal transformations – Eulerian angles – Rotating
frames of reference and coriolis force. Mechanics of rigid bodies Angular momentum and kinetic energy – Moment of inertia tensor – Euler’s equations of motion – Torque -free motion – motion of a symmetrical top under gravity.
Electro Magnetic Theory
Faraday’s laws of induction – Maxwell’s displacement current – Maxwell’s equations – vector and scalar potentials – Gauge invariance – wave equation and plane wave solutions – Coulomb and Lorentz Gauges – energy and momentum of the field – Poynting’s theorem.
Justification of Schroedinger equation – the Schroedinger receipe – probabilities and normalization – Applications -particle in a box – simple harmonic oscillator – time dependence – steps and barriers.
Equation of state – gas degeneracy – Bose-Einstein condensation – thermal properties of Bose-Einstein gas -liquid Helium – Tisza’s two fluid model – Landau’s theory of liquid Helium II – Black body radiation – phonons-Einstein and Debye models for lattice specific heat.
Measurement of fundamental constants e, h, c -Measurement of High & Low Resistances, L and C -Detection of X-rays, Gamma rays, charged particles, neutrons etc – Ionization chamber – proportional counter
– GM counter – Scintillation detectors -SolidStatedetectors
– Emission and Absorption Spectroscopy – IR spectroscopy
– Measurement of Magnetic field – Hall effect, magnetoresistance – X-ray and neutron Diffraction -Vacuum Techniques – basic idea of conductance, pumping speed etc – Pumps – Mechanical Pump – Diffusion pump
– Gauges Thermocouple – Penning – Pirani – Hot Cathode
– Low Temperature Cooling a sample over a range upto 4 K and measurement of temperature.
Measurement of Energy and Time using electronic signals from the detectors and associated instrumentation Signal processing, A/D conversion & multichannel analyzers
Ruby laser – Nd – YAG laser – colour centre lasers — Helium
– Neon laser – Carbondioxide laser – excimer lasers – liquid dye laser – semiconductor lasers – Homojunction laser -Heteorjunction laser – Quantum well laser.
Nonlinear Fiber Optics
Introduction – Second harmonic generation (SHG) -optical mixing – phase matching – Third harmonic generation (THG) – parametric generation of light -Optical parametric oscillator – self-focussing of light.
Types of lattices – Miller indices – Simple crystal structures
– Crystal diffraction – Bragg’s law – Reciprocal Lattice (BCC, FCC) – Brillouin zone – Structure factor – Atomic form factor – Cohesive energy of ionic crystals – Madelung constant – Types of crystal binding.
Phase diagram – phase rule – single component system -binary phase diagram – microstructural changes during cooling – Lever rule – Magnesia – Alumina system – Copper
– Zinc system -Iron – Carbon system – Applications of phase diagram.