The Theoretical Computer Science Group
Institute of Mathematical Sciences
CIT Campus, Chennai 600113
Preparing for JEST (Theoretical Computer Science)
This information material contains
1. Academic information on preparing for JEST, including a set of Sample Questions.
2. A small information brochure about The Institute of Mathematical Sciences. For more details visit our website http://www.imsc.res.in
Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is a preliminary screening test conducted jointly by several premier research institutes. Among these institutes, The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai is the only one that offers a Ph.D. programme in Theoretical Computer Science.
The JEST screening test for entrance to the PhD programme in theoretical computer science will be held typically on a Sunday in the middle of February every year. The test focusses on the following areas:
Discrete Mathematics, Graph Theory, Principles of Programming.
Some textbooks which may help you prepare for the test are listed below. You don’t need to read all the books. There is no specified “portion” for the test; rather, the test isdesigned to check the applicant’s understanding of foundational aspects of computing.
1. Elements of Discrete Mathematics, C.L. Liu
2. Discrete Mathematical Structures with Applications to Computer Science, Jean-Paul Tremblay and Ram P. Manohar
3. Compilers: Principles, Techniques and Tools, Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi and Jeffrey D. Ullman
4. Fundamentals of Data Structures, Ellis Horowitz and Sartaj Sahni
5. An Introduction to Data Structures with Applications,Jean-Paul Tremblay and P.G. Sorenson
6. Fundamentals of Computer Algorithms, Ellis Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni and S. Rajasekaran
7. The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms,Alfred V. Aho, John E. Hopcroft and Jeffrey D. Ullman
8. Introduction to Algorithms,Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson and Ronald L. Rivest
9. How to solve it by computer, R.G. Dromey
10. Programming Languages, Concepts and Constructs, Ravi Sethi
Check This Page Again for More Updates on JEST Exam 2013