TISS MA in Development studies Question papers 2016.
Free download pdf Tata Institute of Social Sciences TISS MA in Development studies Question papers 2016 old Queston paper of TISS MA in Development studies Solved
M.A. IN DEVELOPMENT STUDIES
Duration: 1 Hour Total Marks: 100
SECTION: A Marks: 30
· Answer all questions
· Each question carries 02 (two) marks
1. What was the average productivity (yield) of wheat in India in the year 2007-08?
a) 1560 kg per hectare
b) 2780 kg per hectare
c) 3550 kg per hectare
d) 4470 kg per hectare
2. Which one of the following is a component of Land Reform Programme in India?
a) Tenancy Reforms
b) Collectivization of agriculture
c) Nationalisation of plantation land
d) Crop diversification
3. According to the recently submitted Arjun Sengupta Commission, the share of
people in India living at less than Rs 20 per day expenditure is:
a) 82 per cent
b) 77 per cent
c) 70 per cent
d) 66 per cent
4. What was the share of Scheduled Caste households in India that owned land in
a) 2 per cent
b) 5 per cent
c) 8 per cent
d) 11 per cent
5. How much quantity of rice can be obtained from 1 kg of harvested paddy?
a) 33 per cent
b) 50 per cent
c) 66 per cent
d) 75 per cent
6. The year in which India ratified the Kyoto protocol was:
7. Which one of the following agricultural operations is performed traditionally and
predominantly by women in rural India?
b) Fertiliser application
c) Preparation of seedlings
8. What share of India’s geographical area is forest area?
a) 11 per cent
b) 15 per cent
c) 23 per cent
d) 27 per cent
9. Which of the following States in India was under the Ryotwari System during the
period of British rule:
10. The name of the world commission on Environment and Development is:
a) Brundtland Commission
b) United Nations Development Programme
c) South Commission
d) International Atomic Energy Authority
11. “Bombay Plan” refers to a plan for:
a) Basic infrastructure development in Mumbai
b) Prime Minister’s Special Assistance Scheme for Mumbai
c) Transformation of Mumbai into Shanghai-like city
d) India’s Development prepared by Mumbai industrialists
12. The “Dunkel Draft” is a concept related to:
a) Foreign Policy
b) Population Policy
c) Climate Change Policy
d) Trade Policy
13. Amartya Sen received the Nobel Prize in Economics for his work on
a) Famines and Social Choice Theory
b) Drought and Game Theory
c) Development and Freedom
d) Inequality and Social Justice
14. Who among the following was not associated with the Congress Party?
a) Dr B. R. Ambedkar
b) Abdul Kalam Azad
c) Chaudhary Charan Singh
d) K. B. Sahay
15. Which of the following States in India had the lowest sex ratio, as per the 2001
SECTION – B Marks: 70
· Answer any 5 (five) of the following questions
· Each answer carries 14 (fourteen) marks
· Each answer must be not more than 200 words
1. What are the benefits that Green Revolution brought to Indian agriculture?
2. Review some of the major impacts of colonialism on India’s economy and society.
3. Discuss the recent Right to Education Act.
4. Does the signing of the Indo-US nuclear deal signify India’s arrival on the world
stage as a superpower? Critically discuss.
5. Discuss the significance of any one social reformer in India who lived in the 19th
and/or 20th century.
6. Discuss the caste character of rural violence in India.
7. Successful decentralization requires political mobilization of poorer and weaker
sections of society. Critically discuss.